If you have come here from your mobile, you can return to our mobile site here
2015 CARE Scheme Member Guide
You can now download the full 2015 member guide on the new CARE Pension Scheme.
This document gives detailed information on the new scheme and you can now see how the new scheme operates and how it will affect you by clicking here
The latest edition of our magazine is now available on-line with content including our FAQ on the new pension scheme and an uplifting article by PS Mark Scurlock on his battle with Hodgkin's Lymphoma. There's also information on the Group Insurance Scheme and an update from the Constables' and Sergeants' Branch Boards. Click here to download the magazine
Latest Update on the CARE Pension Scheme
CARE 2015 pension: timetable
- The Minister signed off the Regulations on Friday 27th February
- The Home Office plans to lay these before Parliament by Thursday 5th March (possibly earlier)
- These will come into effect on 1st April 2015
- The Home Office have said Guidance will be issued in parallel with Regulations: we have asked that it be sent out sooner, to help members
- PFEW will issue a FAQs document on Friday 6th March
- PFEW has instructed Legal Counsel to undertake a review of the new regulations in the context of the consultation process that has taken place and the original legal advice which was obtained in 2012 and 2013.
Hughes Guide to the Law - £1 goes to CoPS for each guide sold to our officers
Currently retailing at £30.00 including VAT per annum for private customers, purchase it through your Federation for £4.80 per annum.
The best on/off line legal guide for frontline officers for £4.80 per annum including VAT.
The SWP Federation will donate £1 to the charity Care of Police Survivors for each guide sold to South Wales Officers so get a great guide and support a great cause!
Transferred in Service and Transitional Arrangements
This has come out today. If you're not sure if you've transferred your old pension in, please contact Capita asap:
Update from the General Secretary.
After raising our concern, we have received some positive news from the Home Office today, that affects members who have accrued pension rights relating to other employments before joining the police.
If you are a member who has worked outside the police, then you may be able to transfer in those pension rights to your existing police pension scheme (PPS or NPPS). This may enable you to get transitional protection if you were not entitled to it before, or to get an improved level of transitional protection. This will benefit you financially.
The 2015 Travel Insurance is now Available
The latest travel insurance policy has now been uploaded and is available on our insurance page
You can also view a copy of the scheme benefits which contains details of the benefits available to you such as motor breakdown cover, mobile phone cover, life cover, on-duty assault benefit (for assaults with sharp instruments/firearms), home emergency cover etc
David Pendleton - Associate Partner | St. James's Place Wealth Management
As a Wealth Management Consultant based in Swansea with 15 years experience in offering financial advice, I am able to assist in a wide variety of your financial needs.
My company offers you the highest level of advice on:
• Retirement Planning
• Investment Planning
• Protecting you and your family
• Mortgages, including Buy To Lets*
For further information and contact details please Click Here
*Your home may be repossessed if you do not keep up repayments on your mortgage.
David Pendleton DipPFS, Cert CII(MP)
Associate Partner | St. James's Place Wealth Management
43 Borough Road, Loughor, Swansea. SA4 6RT
Tel: 01792 893172 | Mobile: 07446 170853
Matrimonial Surgeries with Howells Solicitors
New dates have now been secured for our free surgeries with Howells Solicitors. If you have any matrimonial issues that you'd like to discuss in a confidential setting, contact the office to make an appointment.
- 6 March 2015
- 2 April 2015
- 1 May 2015
- 5 June 2015
- 3 July 2015
- 7 August 2015
- 4 September 2015
- 2 October 2015
- 6 November 2015
- 4 December 2015
Changes to the Philip Williams Bupa Scheme
The annual pricing review for the PW Bupa Healthcare Scheme has now been completed. The good news is that significant growth in scheme numbers during the past 12 months has enabled us to negotiate a good deal with Bupa, which has kept monthly subscription increases to an absolute minimum and below the level of medical inflation, whilst still providing the most comprehensive and affordable healthcare product in the Police market.
The new premiums are listed on the attached Rating Table and will apply with effect from 1st December 2014, dependent upon age band on this date.
You may not be aware of all the benefits this scheme provides for your members and their families. Here are a few key points:-
- Up to 12 months FREE membership for Student Officers in their 1st Year of service and significantly discounted rates available in Year 2
- First 2 months subscription FREE for any new member joining the scheme
- No waiting lists for musculoskeletal injuries meaning that you can return to work and continue with your training sooner.
- No limit on the number of claims you can make – the number or cost of claims you make will not affect your premium as an individual
- Access to a nationwide network of over 180 Bupa accredited hospitals means that you can choose the one most convenient for you and also at a time of day to suit your lifestyle.
- Full cancer and cardiology cover with no cap on approved treatments, therapies and drugs which may not be available on the NHS.
- Access to Bupa’s Health Line, a 24 hour, 365 days a year health line, staffed by fully qualified Nurses offering guidance and advice on any medical issue totally free of charge.
As NHS funding is under pressure, and there are increasing demands on the service, continued membership of this scheme ensures prompt access to diagnosis and treatment as this could impact future job security and lifestyle.
Guarantee yourself a better future with Police Mutual
Police Mutual already has over 84,000 savers on their way to securing a better future with a Regular Savings plan – and they don’t want you to miss out.
By putting a little away each month, you’ll guarantee yourself a cash lump sum in the future.
The Regular Savings plan from Police Mutual:
- Save directly from a Police salary/pension or by Direct Debit
- Receive a guaranteed lump sum at the end of the plan term
- There’s no minimum premium - you can save an amount that suits your budget
- Some of the lowest charges in the industry - meaning more money for you
- Start a new plan automatically every year and, once the first plan matures, you’ll receive yearly payments
Police Mutual Assurance Society Limited is an incorporated friendly society authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority (FCA register number 110050). Registered office: Alexandra House, Queen Street, Lichfield, Staffordshire WS13 6QS.